Memberships vs. Subscriptions
The Ringling College Library Association has two main programs it produces: the TOWN HALL Lecture Series, and a Membership program. They are each their own program and do not overlap–other than, one of the benefits of being a RCLA member is the opportunity to order TOWN HALL early during the pre-sale.
Being a member does not mean that one automatically has TOWN HALL. Being a TOWN HALL subscriber does not mean one is automatically an RCLA member.
There is a cost associated with both programs, and one does not subsidize the other.
Membership Levels vs. Subscription Levels
As noted above, each is a separate program. TOWN HALL subscription levels refer to the seating level one purchases to attend the presentations at the Van Wezel. RCLA membership levels refers to the level one signs up to join/renew RCLA.
RCLA Memberships are 100% tax deductible for the year they are purchased in.
A portion of TOWN HALL subscriptions* is tax deductible.
- Platinum: $175 / per subscription
- Gold: $112.50 / per subscription
- Silver: $87.50 / per subscription
- Bronze: $75 / per subscription
If you need a letter from RCLA identifying the tax deductions for the year, please reach out and we’re happy mail/email one out to you.
*Please note that TOWN HALL individual tickets are not tax deductible.
Checks from Foundations, Private Funds, and Companies
RCLA accepts payment for RCLA memberships and TOWN HALL Lecture Series orders from said organizations. While we accept payments, please be sure to check in with your banking organization to ensure there are no issues on their side with cutting a check to us. And please note: we ask that your name be included in the paperwork, as it’s not always clear whom the check applies to without specific instructions.
TOWN HALL Ordering Process
- Ensure you are on our mailing list, either as an RCLA member or as a non-member. (Yes, orders are only accepted by mailing back your request form.)
- RCLA members receive their brochure packet mailing in late spring. Non members receive their brochure packet mailing in mid-June, pending subscription availability. (Ensure we have the best mailing address for you, by reaching out to the office.)
- Filling out your order form:
- Choose between the Morning or the Evening lecture series. Note that your order will receive an assigned seat for the entire lecture. Either all morning or all evening
- Choose which seating level you’d like to order at (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze).
- Add-on the meals you wish to attend.
- Include any seating requests the office needs to know about your TOWN HALL order. This includes ADA seating and requests to be seated near friends.
- Tally up the costs between the seating level and any tentative meals added on.
- Completely fill out your order form. This includes: your name, phone number/email to reach out to you with questions, payment information (credit card number, expiration date, CVV code in the back; or a check written out for the full amount), and the address you want your tickets mailed to in November.
- Do not do the following:
- Do not just include a check and mail that in to us without filling out your form.
- Do not assume we know who you want to sit with, without including a reference note.
- Do not rip your order form in half and mail in only the payment portion.
- Do not send in a partial payment.
- Do not assume we know which address you want your tickets mailed to.
- Do not order some speakers for the morning lectures, and some speakers for the evening lecture. This is not allowed.
- Mail your request order form back to the office. Due to the high volume of mail, it is hard to confirm whether we have received your order form but we will do our best, if you reach out to us.
- The RCLA office spends the summer processing orders. Your order is confirmed when you see that a payment has been processed. Email confirmations go out in early September.
- Subscription and meal tickets are mailed out to our subscribers (usually) the week before Thanksgiving. If you will be moving, traveling, or away in any way, you can always pick to hold your tickets with the RCLA office for WILL CALL.
Donating Back TOWN HALL Tickets
RCLA requests that you turn in your tickets to the office at least one week before the said lecture. Tickets can be mailed in or turned in to the office directly within the timeframe noted.
We do not offer refunds for tickets donated back. Instead, if you wish, a tax letter will be sent to you, for your ticket gift donation.
*Please note that TOWN HALL individual tickets and meal tickets are not tax deductible.
RCLA understands that from time to time, scheduling conflicts come up and one might need to exchange from the morning to the evening or vice versa. We kindly ask that you reach out to us in a timely manner, and directly exchange the tickets with the office.
RCLA will not process exchanges without the tickets present.
TOWN HALL Individual Tickets
RCLA sells subscription tickets for most of the year, or until the series sells out. If seats are still available a month before the lecture begins, we will sell individual tickets. RCLA members will have online access to order individual tickets first, followed by the general public.
Be sure to reach out to the office if you wish to join a waiting list for individual tickets.
TOWN HALL Event Details
The morning lectures begin at 10:30 AM.
The evening lectures begin at 7:30 PM.
Presentations are held at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall. General self-parking is free. Valet parking is available at a minimal cost.
All speakers are microphoned and a live image is projected on a big screen on stage. The Van Wezel has available hearing accessible devices–to be requested when one arrives.
Please note that the Van Wezel has limited ADA seating available. Requests are processed on a first-come basis.
The Van Wezel does not have a center aisle, and does not have wide aisles to allow for walkers or wheelchairs to be moved towards seating centrally located.
Requests for ADA and limited mobility seating must be made as early as possible. The TOWN HALL Lecture Series tends to sell-out, and seating on the aisles is a popular request. Please ensure you have reached out to the office about your needs.
TOWN HALL Presentation Format
Our speakers deliver their presentations for about 40-50 minutes, which is followed by a 20-30 minute Q&A with a moderator. Questions can be submitted by the audience.